Birmingham City Football Club
B9 4NH | map
Tel: +44 (0) 121 772 0101
Write a review
Update this listing
email page to a friend | Add your business for free
This page has been viewed 7,709 times since 8th May 2006
Bimingham City formed in 1875 under the name Small Heath Alliance. In 1888 they became Small Heath, in 1905 Birmingham F.C. and finally in 1943 Birmingham City F.C. In the 1892-1893 season they were founder members and inaugural champions of the Football League Second Division. Unfortunately, promotion was not automatic and a test match system was used, resulting in Small Heath failing to gain promotion until the following year. The club originally played its home fixtures on waste ground, eventually moving to a fenced off field in Ladypool Road, Sparbrook so that they could charge for admission. A year later they moved again to Muntz Street, Small Heath. The new ground had a capacity for about 10,000 spectators, which was eventually raised to 30,000. When thousands of fans scaled the walls for a game against arch rivals Aston Villa, plans for a new stadium were drawn up. In 1906 the club moved to its current stadium at St Andrews, reputed to have originally held 75,000 spectators. Currently the stadium has a capacity of 30,034. The club has a long history, the majority of which has been spent in the top flight of English Football. Major honours have, however, largely eluded Birmingham City.
Motson's National Obsession: The...
The Supporters' Guide to Premier and...
Premiership: The Uncut History of the FA...
A Picture of Britain