Inns in Highworth
The Saracens Head offers accommodation with 12 comfortable bedrooms, each with en-suite bathrooms, TV's, telephones and tea-making facilities. Though the archway at the front of the building which led to the yard at the rear has now been replaced with an imposing doorway, it is not difficult to imagine how it must have been a century or two ago when it looked out across a busy scene in Market Square. The Saracens Head was certainly in use as an inn of some kind in 1825 and is probably much older. Just how old has sadly not been recorded, but it has been suggested that it was once part of the local manor and stands on the site of an old monastery. There is also believed to be a tunnel (now bricked up) which leads from the cellar, under Market Square and towards St Michael's Church.
This page viewed on 3,098 occasions since 2nd February 2010