Long Clawson is a thriving village community on the
Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire border, 6 miles North West of Melton Mowbray,
in the heart of the Vale of Belvoir.
It is well known for its main street that is over a mile long and includes 14 right angled bends!
There are records showing the existence of a village here as far back as The Domesday Book of 1086 and evidence has been found of Medieval, Roman and Saxon settlements.
For centuries much of the activity of the village has centred on farming and it was the rich pasture land that provided the ideal location for the production of Stilton Cheese. Today of course, Long Clawson Dairy is one of the largest producers of the world famous cheese.
During the early 20th century Long Clawson was well served with butchers, bakers and trades people. There were four village stores and five public houses. The village even had its own policeman until the late 1940's.
Unlike many rural communities, Long Clawson is increasing in size - the village school has more than doubled its pupil numbers over the last two years and around 100 additional houses have been built in the village over recent years.
Courtesy of www.long-clawson.com
Old English Villages (Country S.)
English Villages (Writer's Britain S.)
|Illustrated Guide to Country Towns and...||Domesday Heritage: Towns and Villages of...|
On this day: