Attraction in Bury St Edmunds
For nearly 1,000 years the site of Suffolk's Cathedral has been one of worship and pilgrimage. The death of Edmund, King of the East Angles, in 869 led to the building of a Norman abbey to house the remains of the martyred monarch. Several churches were built within the precincts of the abbey. The nave of today's church is the successor of one of those churches, it was started in 1503.
Though little remains of the Benedictine Abbey, St James' Church has continued to grow over the centuries with alterations in the 18th and 19th centuries.
In 1914 St James' became the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Saint Edmundsbury and Ipswich. After the Second World War the architect Stephen Dykes Bower started enlarging the building. The last 40 years have seen several additions as well as the building of the Cathedral Centre, which houses the Song School for the Cathedral Choir, the Refectory and meeting rooms. Currently the Cathedral is in the throes of a Millennium project, which will see the completion of the cathedral in 2004 by the addition of a Gothic style lantern tower.
If you would like further information about group visits or Refectory bookings, please contact Sarah Friswell, Visitor Officer.
Nearest UK Airport: London Stansted
Months Open: Daily 07.30am - 18.00 (19.00 in Summer May - Sept)
Groups/Parties Welcome: Yes
Wedding Facilities: Yes
Conference Facilities: Yes
Admission Price: Donations welcome
Gift Shop: Yes
More Attractions nearby
Moyse's Hall Museum (0.29 miles)
Smiths Row Art Gallery (0.33 miles)
Wildwood Gallery (0.50 miles)
Greene King Brewery Shop, Museum, Off License and Tours (0.71 miles)
Curve Motion Ltd (0.96 miles)
This page viewed on 6,321 occasions since Oct 16th 2005