Attraction in Culross
This small royal burgh on the north shore of the Forth provides a striking introduction to Scottish domestic life in the 16th and 17th centuries. Culross was then a thriving community, developed under the businesslike laird, Sir George Bruce, with a flourishing trade with other Forth ports and the Low Countries.
The Palace was built between 1597 and 1611for Sir George and features decorative painted woodwork and original interiors, 17th and 18th century furniture and decorative items. On the ground floor of the west wing there is a collection of Staffordshire and Scottish pottery bequeathed by the late Mr William Steel.
A model 17th century garden with raised beds, a covered walkway, a flowery mead and hurdle fencing, has been built to the rear of the Palace. It contains a variety of unusual vegetables, herbs and perennials, all available in 1600.
Excavations in the Palace Courtyard have led to the restoration of a fine ornamental path and the footings of a former east range.
The Town House and The Study are both open to the public, while The Ark, Bishop Leighton's House, The Nunnery and other restored houses may be viewed from the outside, but are NOT open to the public.
NTS visitor reception and exhibition/video on the royal burgh of Culross in Town House: shown to groups in Bessie Bar Hall. Audio tour of Palace.
Months Open: Palace/Town House: 1 Apr - 30 Sep, weekends in Oct;
Car Parking: Yes
Admission Price: £5
Gift Shop: Yes
More Attractions nearby
This page viewed on 5,669 occasions since Oct 16th 2005