Attraction in Cinderford
The Dean Heritage Centre is run by the Dean Heritage Museum Trust, a registered charity formed in 1979 out of public concern that the heritage of the Forest of Dean was fast disappearing. Camp Mill, at the time a scrap yard, was acquired, and the museum opened in 1983.
The present building was constructed in 1876 to house a corn mill, powered by two water wheels in tandem. In 1888 it was converted into a leather board mill, making shoe insoles and stiffeners. From 1911 to 1952 it was used as a sawmill and the water wheels were replaced by a Francis type turbine.
The museum underwent major refurbishment in 2002/2003. Objects from the museum collection are displayed in five new museum galleries to tell the history of the Forest of Dean and its people. The landscape and character of the area result from thousands of years of interaction between the people of the Forest of Dean and its natural environment.
Months Open: All Year
Groups/Parties Welcome: Yes
Admission Price: Adults: £4.50
Concessions: £3.50Family: £13
Gift Shop: Yes
More Attractions nearby
This page viewed on 6,720 occasions since Oct 16th 2005