Attraction in Elgin
Pluscarden Abbey was founded in 1230 by Alexander II for Valliscaulian monks, burned in 1390 by the Wolf of Badenoch, became Benedictine in 1454 and fell into lay hands after the Reformation. In 1948 it was re-founded from Prinknash Abbey, and the mediaeval buildings restored in fabric and function. Now the monks welcome visitors of all creeds and none to this peaceful glen, offering retreats to men and women. Gregorian chant seven times a day and some of the finest modern stained glass in Scotland. Their shop sells Abbey CDs and books, souvenirs and products of its gardens and apiary.
All services open to the public. Foundations in Ghana (Kristo Buase, Techiman) and Petersham, MA, USA.
Nearest UK Airport: Inverness
Months Open: All year: 04.30 - 20.30
Groups/Parties Welcome: Yes
Car Parking: Yes
Admission Price: Free
Gift Shop: Yes
More Attractions nearby
This page viewed on 7,066 occasions since Oct 16th 2005