Attraction in Reading
The structure of Englefield House is essentially Elizabethan but incorporates alterations and additions from the 18th and 19th centuries. Its seven acre garden contains some magnificent specimen trees and is surrounded by a deer park. The formal garden was laid out in the 17th century and the terraces and stone staircases were built in 1860. The woodland and water garden on the hill above the house was designed and planted in 1936. In 1976 the formal planting and gravel paths were removed from the terrace and a new planting scheme was put in place with the assistance of the garden designer, Lanning Roper. There is a small garden specially created for children where four little statues conceal hidden jets of water.
The House is open by appointment only. The Garden is open as above.
Months Open: All year (Mondays); April - Nov, Mon - Thurs
More Attractions nearby
This page viewed on 11,718 occasions since Oct 16th 2005
On this day: