Review by Mr M Hothersall on 11th March, 2009
Add your review
I am writing to express my absolute disgust at the customer service and room at the De Vere University Arms in Cambridge. I was booked in for the evening of the 10 Mar 09:
1. Took approx 45 mins to book me in.
2. Eventually got into my room 334.
3. Discovered TV remote not working, phones reception - 3 times, no answer.
4. Left phone ringing for 15 mins, eventually picked up at reception. Asked why it had taken so long, busy, on his own!
5. Told he would pass on to the house manager, had shower, changed and went out for meal.
6. Returned to find nothing had been done?
7. Phoned reception, no answer?
8. Went to reception, asked why no answer and why my remote had not been sorted out? Busy, on my own? I asked for one of the suited managers, who in my opinion appeared to just walk around looking important, acknowledge by the stressed out desk clerk?
9. Eventually, house manager arrived and could not explain why the problem had not been resolved in the first instance?
10. He eventually renewed the batteries, which worked once and then I was left in the same position, unable to check my emails.
11. By this time I was tired of relying on the staff to resolve basic problems.
12. The final straw that broke the camels back was the unacceptable noise of the enormous air conditioning units that roared outside my room single glazed windows.
13. At approx 12:30 in the morning, faced with asking for a move of room, very tired, I decided that this experience was all too much, and packed my belongings and informed the reception that I was leaving.
14. I asked for a customer complaints form, only to be asked if I wanted a blank sheet of A4 paper< insult to injury.
15. I then drove 4hrs to get home, not the best experience I have had to endure.
16. I am not an expert in running hotels, however, like any business, the reception is the shop window and all first opinions last.
Overall, the worst hotel experience ever and I move around the country weekly. Travel Lodge put your hotel to shame.
Date visited: 10 Mar 09