Racecourses in Haydock
Haydock Park Racecourse was created in the last years of the 19th Century
as a direct successor to the nearby Old Golborne Heath course, home of the
Newton Races (Newton-Le-Willows), which flourished in the 1750s. With
regular visits by the royal family during the 1700's and early 1800's,
Newton Racecourse provided some of the country's richest and finest racing
of that era.
The Newton Course was famous for its feature race which is still run at Haydock Park today under the name of the Old Newton Cup. The race is run over a mile-and-a-half at the July meeting but was first recorded in 1807.
Racing at the Newton Course ended in 1898 when Lord Newton leased the 127 acres of verdant parkland to build Haydock Park Racecourse at which the first recorded racing took place in 1899.
Haydock Park Racecourse in its present form is a result of 250 years of racing tradition that is steeped in history together with modern facilities and a drive to provide the very best racing and facilities in the 21st century. The highlight of Haydock Park's season is the Group 1 Stanley Leisure Sprint Cup and the De Vere Gold Cup, both offering a racing spectacle which rivals any other race of our day.
Credit Cards Accepted
Tweets from Haydock Park Racecourse
This page viewed on 9,464 occasions since Oct 16th 2005
On this day: